What is HomeLink®?
HomeLink® is a wireless control system built into your Chevy Equinox, Camaro, or other Chevrolet vehicle, It allows you to conveniently:
- Open and close your garage door or gate
- Activate/deactivate your home security system
- Turn on and off your home’s interior and exterior lights, appliances, and other in-home electronics
All of this can be done from just three buttons in the vehicle. In this guide, you’ll learn more about the benefits of HomeLink® and why you should want it. We’re also here to help Nashville drivers learn how to set up HomeLink® in their Chevy vehicle.
The Benefits of HomeLink®
Drivers who have a HomeLink® equipped in their Chevy vehicle, will enjoy a number of benefits which can save time, effort, and improve the overall security. Some of those benefits are listed below:
- Easy to Program: Connecting your vehicle to your home is simply a matter of pressing a few buttons.
- Compatibility: HomeLink® is compatible with just about all garage door openers and gate systems, as well as a wide range of other radio-frequency (RF) controlled devices.
- Control Up to 3 Devices: Tastefully integrated into your vehicle’s interior, the HomeLink® system allows you to control up to three devices. You’ll never have to worry about carrying multiple remote controls or misplacing them again.
- Safety & Security: With most compatible garage door openers, the system will be able to let you know if you your garage door has been left open or closed. HomeLink® apps also allow you to have remote control over other in-home devices, such as the lights and security system, providing you with an extra level of peace-of-mind when you’re on the road.
- Battery-free: Since HomeLink® is powered by the electrical system in your Chevy you’ll never have to worry about changing batteries.
How Do I Program HomeLink®?
Now that you know the benefits of HomeLink®, you may want to know how you program the thing. Connecting devices to your HomeLink system couldn’t be easier. To connect your system to your garage door opener, simply follow the steps below.
- The HomeLink® unit features 3 buttons and is most commonly located above the center console. Press and hold down the first and third buttons until the interior lights of your car begin to flash. This usually takes about 20 seconds. Note that pressing the first and third buttons is the master reset, you do not need to do this when adding other devices later.
- Once the ceiling lights begin to flash, press and hold the button you wish to program while simultaneously holding the open/close button on your garage door opener. The lights should go from a slow to rapid flash, indicating that the programming is complete.
- Go into your garage and press the “learn” button on your garage door opener.
- Return to your vehicle and press the programmed button on your car for a minimum of two seconds. You may see the lights on your garage door opener flash, indicating that it is connecting.
- There you have it. You’re connected to your garage door opener.
Learn More about Your Chevy Tech Systems at Serra Chevrolet Buick GMC of Nashville
If you’re uncertain about the HomeLink® system, don’t hesitate to contact us. Our certified service techs at Serra Chevrolet Buick GMC of Nashville can walk you through programming your HomeLink®, or Chevy MyLink system.