Winter Maintenance Tips for Your Vehicle
Living in Goodlettsville and the surrounding areas means you’ll experience all seasons, including winter. Keeping your vehicle winter-ready is key so you’ll be able to drive with ease all season long. Uncomplicate your commute with these important vehicle maintenance tips that’ll prep your car for winter.
Check Your Tires
If you opt for all-season tires or even winter specific tires, you’ll want to check your tread using the penny or quarter test:
- Take a penny or a quarter and place it between the groove of your tire’s tread, making sure the head of either president is facing down.
- For a penny: If you see most of Lincoln’s head, it’s likely that your tread depth is less than 2/32 of an inch and it’s time to replace your tires.
- For a quarter: If you place a quarter between the tread groove (Washington head down) and it touches the top of Washington’s head, you have about 4/32 of an inch of tread remaining.
If you don’t have change, don’t worry. Each tire is usually equipped with a tread indicator that looks like a bar between the groove. When they’re visibly flushed to the ground, it’s time to take your tires in to get them checked and most likely replaced.
Keep Your Gas Tank Filled and Battery Charged
You don’t ever want to run out of gas, but running out of gas when it’s cold out adds an extra level of stress you can avoid. Keeping at least ½ tank of gas ensures your tank won’t freeze and that you won’t run out unexpectedly.
Keeping your battery in good shape helps too. For an older vehicle, you’ll want to take your car in to ensure your battery is good and at full capacity so that you won’t lose power in your vehicle during winter. It doesn’t hurt to get the battery tested in a newer vehicle either.
Get an Oil Change and Vehicle Check-Up
The service experts at Serra Chevrolet Buick GMC of Nashville are here to keep your vehicle winter-ready. Getting an oil change or having a full vehicle inspection performed is easy to schedule and assures you’ve done all you can to keep your vehicle running smoothly during harsh weather.
Once you’ve had your vehicle checked, make sure it’s stocked up with these recommended items just in case you run into the unexpected while your driving:
- Emergency roadside kit with jumper cables
- Blankets or extra winter clothing
- First-aid kit
- Tire changing kit
- Rock salt or kitty litter
- Windshield washer fluid
- Ice scraper or snow brush
Keep Your Vehicle in Good Shape at Serra Chevrolet Buick GMC of Nashville
Serra Chevrolet Buick GMC of Nashville wants to keep your new or pre-owned vehicle running well during winter. That’s why we equip you with knowledgeable service technicians who are able to help with their best tips to maintain your vehicle for winter. If you want to bring your vehicle in for a checkup before peak winter weather begins, contact us today.